Recital Student Survey Results!
The results are in, and there were some very surprising curveballs!
At our Fall Recital on Nov. 7th, students were given a survey and the option to choose:
- Treble Clef or Bass Clef -> 76% voted for the Treble Clef, and the poor Bass Clef never gets any love. Some recurring comments I receive from students during lessons “I’m right handed so I can’t play the bass clef” or “how come the bass clef is different than the treble clef, why can’t all the notes be in the same place” or “I don’t know the bass clef because I learned the treble clef first”…these might make sense to some of you, but in the defense of the bass clef:
It doesn’t matter whether you are right or left handed. You will use both hands equally at different times for different songs. Most method books actually start teaching with the bass clef rather than the treble clef. You will naturally learn how to read the treble clef notes more because there is more melody in the higher notes. You will learn how to read intervals and patterns better in the bass clef, left hand, because the bass clef is most often full of harmonies. Finally, there is a similarity between the treble and bass clef, they mirror each other. If you fold the staff in half so the treble and bass clefs face each other, middle C, treble and bass C, and high and low C will be overlapping.
Hooray for both Treble and Bass Clef, not to mention Tenor and Alto Clefs!
- Back to the Future Theme or Star Wars Theme -> This was a very tight race, 50:50!
Of course, both such amazing compositions. Back to the Future theme was composed by Alan Silvestri who also did film scores for: The Avengers, Forrest Gump, The Polar Express, and many more major motion pictures. And, the Star Wars score was composed by John Williams who also wrote film scores for: Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Home Alone, Schindler’s List and many more!
- Brass instruments or String instruments -> 93% votes for String instruments, the biggest upset out of all the questions! Makes sense though, most of our students play piano or guitar, both of which are string instruments.
- Piano or Forte -> Forte wins by just 1 vote!
As a musician, I enjoy both piano and forte because of the drama associated with each. When you play piano, there is anticipation for what is to come. When you play forte, the drama is inherent! Both are great, and its exciting to see the students feel that way as well!
- Marching Band or Symphony -> 83% of student votes are for symphony!
The symphony is so amazing to see live at a music hall; all of the band and orchestra instruments come together with their individual talents to perform, all led by one conductor. Its also fun to see a marching band play during a sports game and all the music and formation they achieve while sweating it out!
- Grilled Cheese or Macaroni and Cheese -> Mac and Cheese wins with 70% of votes! Both can often be found on the kids menu alongside hot dogs or hamburgers. They can also be elevated with different, or high quality cheeses, but nothing beats the creaminess and comfort level of a good macaroni and cheese!
Share This Post
Sign up for our mailing list.